Saturday 26 June 2010

3 things I'd like to tell all you design nut dabblers out there

I don't fancy myself a particularly good graphic designer, as I've said before. But I know something awful when I see it. When the visual balance is off, or the colours don't quite work together, or God forbid they've saved in the wrong file format and there are little pixelated grains everywhere. Tchah.

So I have three things to say.

1. Save in PNG.
If you want high-quality stuff with little to no blurring and discolouration then for God's sake save in PNG format (*.png). Seriously, it's much better than JPEG in terms of quality, although it does take up a touch  more disk space. But it's worth it. Definitely.

2. Read this
It's an unbiased impartial honest surprisingly relevant (given the website's normal material) look at fonting.

3. Retain your fashion sense.
You'd never wear lime green with fluorescent violet, right? So why would you splash a header with those same shades of horror? Some combinations are just not meant to be seen by the human eye; I'm referring in particular to flat blue with dead fuchsia, which is unspeakably popular in some parts of the world, although why on earth they are condoned outside of a leaflet for the blind is a mystery to me.

~Mnemosyne

PS. I'm still wasted. Could you tell?

No comments:

Post a Comment