Friday 16 July 2010

What's in a name? (Or, The Great Big Parentheticalicious Post)

I like how Chronos has been recommending websites left and right. No, I'm not being sarcastic. DeviantArt is fantastic and I'm in the process of signing up for FictionPress right now (shut up Chronos or I'll stuff a sock up your nose) but that's not why I'm writing this post. Well, not all of it.

I like to write. ("No shet." -- Chronos.) I'm usually pretty good okay-ish at coming up with neat, non-offensive character names that:

a) are appropriate for the story (hey you! Historical fanfic writer! You don't get girls called Chrissy in the 1800s!);

b) clearly distinguish whether said character is male or female (one of Elton John's cooler love songs is "Nikita", which sounds innocuous enough to the modern Westernized ear until you consider that not only is Elton John flamingly and openly gay--which does not in any way affect how freakin' awesome this man is--but, to augment the "Why didn't I think of it earlier"-ness, Nikita in the original Russian is a man's name);

c) are not clichéd or plagiariffic (LOL) or blatantly connotative in any way (for God's sake, stop naming every cutesy wannabe kid spy Insertyuppienamehere Bond);

and d) aren't so similar to the other in-story characters' names that the entire thing reads like an extended version of Bob, Bob, Bob, Bob, Jeff, Bob, Bob, Bob--

-takes a breath-

--so yes, I am usually fairly good at coming up with names, but not this time.

-pause-

I need help.

Okay, here's the gist of the problem. There are two main characters--a man and a woman. I have their first names sussed out and I am determined to hang onto them if it kills me, so no suggestions for that arena. However, their last names are proving a bit of a hitch, because while they sound fairly catchy (if I say so myself) on their own, they are too similar to each other for my (and probably any reader's) comfort.

So as of now, the dissatisfactory names are June Halliday and Stetson Faraday. One of them needs to be switched out so I don't end up with a pair of rhyming niblets (given that it's a murder mystery, rhyming niblets are most definitely what I am not aiming for). In a pinch I'd have to say that the male name is the one I am most fond of and least willing to change; June is alright in and of itself, and I'm already quite attached to it, but she can't be a Halliday anymore. Shame, but that's how it goes.

Basically I'd be very very grateful if you could help me come up with a new last name for the psycho June. Guidelines: no rhyming with Faraday, no rhyming with June, no rhyming with Stetson, and no salad.

Ready, set, ... LOOK A DONKEY! ... what?



Cute Baby Animal - Hee-Hawww
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww.


Gee, as long as you promise to help me, I guess, but I'm calling you out if all your suggestions are donkey-themed.

~Mnemosyne

No comments:

Post a Comment